Population Connection is a unique organization with a professional and dedicated staff that is passionate about population stabilization, environmental protection, social justice, and health and well-being. We have 40,000 members and thousands more supporters and participating educators working together to build a more sustainable future for all of our planet’s inhabitants.
Senior Membership Services Manager
Population Connection seeks a Senior Membership Services Manager (SMSM) to join its Advancement team. The SMSM will help to ensure timely and accurate data entry and membership rolls for both Population Connection and Population Connection Action Fund. The SMSM will report to the Senior Vice President for Advancement and will work closely with other members of Membership, Marketing, and Development.
The SMSM will be responsible for managing the Membership Services team and overseeing daily gift processing through our caging vendor, Aegis. The SMSM will maintain proper database hygiene by monitoring our data through daily, weekly, and monthly processes. The SMSM will spend time working with and analyzing membership data as well as interacting directly with our members, whether by phone, email, or letter. The right candidate should feel comfortable navigating the EveryAction CRM as well as communicating personally with members and supporters of the organization.
We welcome candidates to apply who have strong interpersonal skills, a willingness to juggle many projects simultaneously, and an interest in engaging with donors throughout the day.
Membership Service Operations
The primary role for the SMSM will be to oversee all Membership Service operations, from daily gift entry and data management to donor correspondence and research. Some of the tasks would include:
- Serving as point of contact for our caging vendor, Aegis, and overseeing daily work for accuracy and timeliness of data entry; reviewing in-house gifts and online donations; and reconciling batches with bank reports and delivering daily cash reports to the leadership team.
- Acting as liaison between Marketing staff and Aegis or other third-party vendors to manage donor data and to oversee premium inventory and order fulfillment.
- Ensuring the swift processing of all donor inquiries.
- Pursuing professional development on an ongoing basis.
- Maintaining a working knowledge of Population Connection/Population Connection Action Fund program priorities and activities.
- Performing other duties as assigned.
- Creating a presence in our downtown Washington, DC, office.
- Managing other Membership Services staff to coordinate prompt responses to all donor calls, letters, and emails.
- Ensuring timely and helpful donor service, identifying ways to be more efficient and productive, and providing back-up for the team.
- Overseeing efforts to retain and grow our monthly giving program, the Leadership Circle, as well as stewardship of these critical donors.
- Establishing a data quality monitoring program that encompasses daily, weekly, monthly, and quarterly maintenance tasks.
- Implementing regular, ongoing database hygiene processes, such as by deduping constituent records weekly or working with the Marketing team to process bimonthly NCOA updates.
- Organizing and importing bulk data files from vendors or staff, such as positive and negative responder files, planned giving data, direct response effort replies, non-contribution data, or various other data appends.
- Tracking employer/occupation information when necessary; mailing letters requesting this information on a regular basis.
- Providing or overseeing donor research to ensure donors can be contacted; helping to identify prospects who should move up the ladder.
- Required: A belief in our mission to stabilize global population through voluntary, human-rights based means; a passion for advancing reproductive rights and for protecting the environment.
- Preferred: A Bachelor’s degree and 5+ years of progressive leadership experience in membership or gift services, or equivalent professional-level experience.
- Preferred: Experience working with national advocacy and/or grassroots, membership-based organizations.
- Superb interpersonal, oral, and written communication skills; demonstrated ability to communicate effectively, comfortably, and respectfully with donors, staff, and volunteers.
- High level of comfort working with seniors.
- Excellent organizational skills; detail oriented with ability to prioritize and manage multiple projects simultaneously and to meet deadlines.
- A confident and professional work style. An ability to take personal initiative and work independently as well as to collaborate with others on strategies in a team-oriented approach.
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office Suite, especially Excel, and constituent relationship management databases.
- Flexibility and a willingness to take on new tasks as the responsibilities of the position may evolve.
Population Connection/Population Connection Action Fund will provide a salary commensurate with experience. Benefits include a generous annual leave plan, paid holidays, medical, dental, and vision insurance, short-term disability, and a 401K retirement account with matching funds available.
This is a full-time position requiring the candidate to be willing to work from our downtown Washington, DC, office two to three days per week, with Wednesdays set as an anchor day. Relocation benefits will not be provided.
Please email the following application documents to Shauna Scherer, Senior Vice President for Advancement, at email@example.com. Please reference Senior Membership Services Manager in your subject line. Within your cover letter, please discuss how your past experience and achievements will lead to success in Membership Services for Population Connection and Population Connection Action Fund.
- Resume and cover letter (letter may be included in the body of the email).
- Contact information for three professional references, preferably those who managed your work in the past.
Equal Opportunity Employment
Population Connection provides for a fair and equal employment opportunity for all employees and job applicants regardless of race, color, religion, national origin, ancestry, age, gender, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, marital status, familial status, disability, or genetic information, in compliance with applicable federal, state, and local law. Population Connection hires and promotes individuals solely on the basis of their qualifications for the job to be filled.
Population Connection reasonably accommodates qualified individuals with disabilities to enable them to receive equal employment opportunity and/or perform the essential functions of the job, unless the accommodation would impose an undue hardship to the organization. This applies to all applicants and staff members.
Population Connection also provides a work environment in which each staff member is able to be productive and work to the best of their ability. We do not condone or tolerate an atmosphere of intimidation or harassment. We expect and require the cooperation of all staff members in maintaining an atmosphere free from discrimination and harassment with mutual respect by and for all employees and applicants.
Diversity, Equity, Inclusion, and Justice
Population Connection is committed to fostering, cultivating, and preserving a culture of diversity, equity, and inclusion.
Our human capital is the most valuable asset we have. The collective sum of the individual differences, life experiences, knowledge, inventiveness, innovation, self-expression, unique capabilities, and talent that our employees invest in their work represents a significant part of not only our culture, but our reputation and organization’s achievement as well.
We embrace and encourage our employees’ differences in age, color, disability, ethnicity, family or marital status, gender identity or expression, language, national origin, physical and mental ability, race, religion, sexual orientation, socioeconomic status, veteran status, and other characteristics that make our employees unique.
Population Connection’s diversity initiatives are applicable—but not limited—to our practices and policies on recruitment and selection, compensation and benefits, professional development and training, promotions, transfers between departments, social and recreational programs, layoffs, terminations, and the ongoing development of a work environment built on the premise of gender and diversity equity that encourages and enforces:
- Respectful communication and cooperation between all employees
- Teamwork and employee participation, permitting the representation of all groups and employee perspectives
- Work/life balance through flexible work schedules to accommodate employees’ varying needs
- Employer and employee contributions to the communities we serve to promote a greater understanding and respect for diversity
All employees of Population Connection have a responsibility to treat others with dignity and respect at all times. All employees are expected to exhibit conduct that reflects inclusion during work, at work functions on or off the work site, and at all other organization-sponsored and participative events.
Read our DEIJ Commitment Statement, Definitions, and Strategic Pillars here