Recent Population Connection Media Hits
Published: September 13, 2021
The recent slowdown in the U.S. birth rate has resulted in much hand-wringing about our nation’s future. Instead of yielding to these dark prognostications, let’s take advantage of this situation, which could be more optimistically viewed as an opportunity. There are some clear advantages to the decline in U.S. births—which is occurring in all age groups of women 15–44 but is most pronounced among teens. And the challenges that slower population growth may pose can be successfully addressed by disrupting the status quo when it comes to our investment in future generations of workers and taxpayers.
John Seager, President and CEO of Population Connection, has been interviewed by radio stations around the country this summer on the topic of lower fertility and slower population growth in the United States. The complete list of his interviews (as of our print deadline of August 18) is below.
- 8/12/21: (NPR) “The WGVU Morning Show” with Shelly Irwin, Grand Rapids, MI
- 8/10/21: WGTD-FM with Greg Berg, (Wisconsin Public Radio affiliate), Kenosha/Racine, WI
- 8/9/21: KGO-AM with Mark Thompson, San Francisco, CA (Interview starts at minute 19!)
- 8/9/21: Delmarva Public Radio with Don Rush, Salisbury/Eastern Shore, MD, Maryland Regional
- 7/19/21: “The Laura Coates Show,” SiriusXM Radio, P.O.T.U.S. Channel 124
- 7/9/21: John Liddle, NewsRadio 1080 KRLD, Dallas/Fort Worth, TX
- 7/8/21: Tony Marino, News 96.5 WDBO, Orlando, FL
- 6/30/21: Roy Burnette, WRGC, Sylva, NC, and WBHN, Bryson City, NC
- 6/30/21: Bob Gourley, “Issues Today,” nationally syndicated to 80 + radio stations
Visit this page on our website to see the list grow as John continues to do interviews into the fall!
In addition to John’s radio interviews, we’ve been submitting op-eds and letters to the editor this summer in response to the many articles that have been published in newspapers across the country bemoaning lower fertility and slower population growth in the U.S.
Here’s a list of the opinion pieces that have been published by Population Connection staff this summer:
- John Seager, “How smaller families can benefit our country,” The Morning Call, Allentown, PA, July 26, 2021
- Marian Starkey, “Let’s fully fund international family planning on World Population Day,” The Hill, Washington, DC, July 11, 2021
- Marian Starkey, “Let’s Celebrate a Lower Birthrate, Not Lament It,” The New York Times, June 5, 2021